Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Reflections on Mitchel Resnick

Summary: In Mitchel Resnick's article, "Rethinking Learning in the Digital Age" he talks about how computers need to be viewed more as a learning tool and a creative media and less as an information technology. He explains the importance of becoming digitally fluent and how there is a difference between being able to word-process or send an e-mail and being able to "construct things of significance with those tools". An example he brings forth of using computers to construct things are the Computer Clubhouses that were started up in Boston. People are able to come to these clubhouses and create their own projects. They are able to express themselves in the computer world while learning to become digitally fluent. Resnick states that we need to rethink how and what people learn, and we need to change from focusing on information and how much we know to how we can "think and act creatively".

Reflection: I am the first person to say that I dislike using computers and technology. It always breaks around me and then there is no way for me to use it, let alone understand it. Computers for me have always been for looking up information, typing up information, and printing out information. Sure, I would get on to Microsoft Paint and play around for a while when I was bored, but who hasn't? That is the extent to my being creative on the computer. I even ended up deleting my Myspace because making it all colorful, creative, and awesome took way too much time and frustration to figure out (which is why I prefer Facebook, there are no layouts). In all reality, I am a very creative person and an avid scrapbooker, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to be digitally/creatively fluent on a computer! Resnick brings up the thought that we should start teaching the ways to be fluent in school, and I agree. I don't think I would have near as much trouble as I do now if all through elementary school all my computer classes I spent with my fingers on home row typing of pages of script. We were only able to use the creative programs after we had finished all of the researched, typed up, printed out work. I was taught to think of computers as an information technology. I don't know if I will ever see it differently now.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your comments about myspace and feel like I am one of those individuals who likes everything to be simple and set up for me, instead of having to create everything as I go. I also see a huge danger in sites such as myspace, as they can become very addicting and take up huge amounts of time. They also distract students from their homework, and along with television and video games, are one of the growing list of distractions we as teachers must compete with for our students' attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, MYSPACE... I still have mine and it's decorated with twirls, curls, and colors. I agree it was VERY frustrating and took up TOO MUCH of my time. I avidly went on Myspace instead of doing my homework and I know my siblings do the same.

    We can definitely see the negatives and positives of computer creativity. I think that computers are going to become more and more a part of our future and consequently I also agree that fluency should be taught to the teachers as well as the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments about computers, I too feel that if I had better skills and greater resources in using a computer as a tool and a way of expressing creativity of thought and design that I would be more inclined to think positively about computers and the way that they work to enhance my learning and understanding of the world. With this in mind I believe that we can use computers as a way to harness student creativity though actively engaging with them through technology which allows for computer to become another important outlet for facilitating learning and constructing knowledge. I do not believe that computers should be seen as the only source to obtain information or interact with the world to construct knowledge but as one of the essential tools and key component to facilitating learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mia I see your point on how it is hard to switch your perspective on computers from informational to a tool that facilitates learning. Growing up I learned to used computers solely to access information from webpages. But now, I see the value it has in pushing learning and creativity in the classroom. I understand how difficult computers are to use and if we don't understand them it will be hard to teach our students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mia: Computers can be a challenge and for the longest time I felt the same way as you do.. that was until I bought a mac. At first I hated my mac it was so hard to get used to everything, but now that I am used it I find myself being more creative with it. For example, I use my mac when I am scrapbooking. I use it to make borders and designs. I love it. I think once someone gets use to the computer, learns their way around and is taught how to use it they'll find themselves being more creative than they think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mia,
    I completely see where you are coming from and I totally agree that our generation has just focused on the computer as information technology. This new generation however, is much more savvy when it comes to technology then we ever were. This generation is engrossed in technology whether it be video games, computer games, new DVD software and so on. In my opinion, I feel that children are spending too much time absorbed in these activities rather than engaging in physical activity and social interaction. After reading this article though I see more of the benefits that can come out of technology. If we use the technology as a tool for children to be creative in school it may have a great deal of advantage for some students.

    ReplyDelete